Home » Formal Letter of Introduction

Formal Letter of Introduction

Carol lee

160 Convent Ave

NYC, NY 10031

Ms. Rodwell

160 Convent Ave

NYC, NY 10031

January 30, 2023

Dear Professor Rodwell,

I am writing this letter to introduce myself to you, as well as to inform you of my career goals, short-term, and long-term goals, and my wishes for the future.

My name is Carol Lee, and I am currently in my first year attending City College in hopes of pursuing an education in Engineering. My major is currently Undecided Engineering, but I am contemplating whether I should pursue Electrical Engineering or Computer Science. I realized my passion for engineering during my junior year of high school when I took an Engineering design class. This class challenged me to develop critical thinking and creative skills to design, develop, and build projects from scratch. From bridges to planes and circuit simulations to Rube Goldberg machines; I enjoyed the entire process which led to me to applying to colleges for engineering.

In terms of career goals, I am working to achieve a Bachelor of Science with a focus on computer science. While I am still deciding between two disciplines, computer science has a wider range of job opportunities which will allow me to pursue a wide range of specialties within the field. Another career goal I have is to eventually run my own business when I am successfully far along in my career and financially secure. My goal is to make further technological advancements in the medical field with artificial intelligence. While AI may never truly replace jobs in the medical profession, my wish is to create new computer systems that will make the medical profession more efficient.

Presently, my short-term goals include managing my time with the Pomodoro technique and to start journaling daily. I’m particularly bad at managing my time, especially when it comes to studying for an exam or writing a paper. It’s rare for me to be consistently productive and the Pomodoro technique aims to aid those who struggle to focus and complete assignments. When it comes to journaling, I find that it gives me the opportunity to voice my thoughts and opinions freely without judgment.

Eventually, my long-term goals comprise of graduating CCNY with a GPA higher than 3.8 and gaining a master’s degree in computer science at an Ivy League University. Despite being a difficult challenge, with time and effort, I believe that I will develop the capability to achieve this within the next 7 years.

Engineering will play a vital role in tomorrow’s technological advancements. I imagine software engineering will play an important role in the advancement of medicine. In the future, artificial intelligence may be advanced enough to calculate weight at an atomic level and inject anesthesia into patients. This will help avoid human error in the medical field. Additionally, AI might be able to perform dangerous and difficult surgeries such as a craniectomy with more safety and accuracy compared to surgeons. When it comes to everyday life, software engineering will eventually automate and replace human jobs. There also may be automated bus and taxi drivers, AI soldiers, and automated service industry jobs. In the end, there will be a great number of jobs replaced by automation.

Kind regards,

Carol Lee